Wednesday, January 11, 2012

What's Wrong With Writing For The Money?

Lately, I've been hearing a lot of comments kind of mocking authors who write for the money and it's been bothering me.

First of all,  I realize that authors make very little. I've been writing full time for over two years now and how much have I made in total from it? Zero dollars. And even if I do sell, as I've heard multiple times, it's very unlikely that I will make enough to live off of. Trying to make a living off of writing like I am? It's even more unrealistic, according to most people, than trying to make a living as an actor or actress.

But at the moment? I don't care. I'm going to try to anyway. Why? Because I watched too many corny movies growing up about getting a job doing what you love and writing (also editing as well would be fun to me) is my passion. It's the one thing I can do every day and enjoy. I'm very motivated.

But I do need to eat and to have a place to live, so I'm hoping that eventually I can get paid to do what I love the most full time or there's a good chance I might have to give it up for the most part. That would make me very sad.

I'm an introvert. While I would like people to read the things I've written, it also slightly terrifies me. Most authors have a lot of trouble dealing with the fact that writing is a very lonely process. You're putting a whole lot of work into something (for months or maybe even years) that no one else in the world is going to see until you are done. Me? I can actually handle that part pretty well.

So while I would greatly enjoy having people read the things I write, I relate to it kind of like how I relate to this blog. Few people read it and very few comment on it, but I keep going because I enjoy it and hope to make a living through it someday. Is that so bad to dream about? Is this really such a bad way to relate to writing? I, personally, do not think so.

1 comment:

keishkaylaaazzalea@gmail.com said...

Banned complain !! Complaining only causes life and mind become more severe. Enjoy the rhythm of the problems faced. no problem no life, no matter did not learn, so enjoy it :)

Penanganan TBC Kelenjar
Pengobatan Jantung Berdebar Herbal
Olahraga Angkat Beban Dan Manfaatnya
Cara Menghilangkan Kaki Bengkak Pada Ibu Hamil
Obat Benjolan Di Labia Mayora