I love Witches, and not the normal kind. What do I mean by normal kind? Well, it’s not as if witches really exist to they? Far from it!
In the ancient and olden times (By this I mean the 1200- early 1900), when people believed Witches existed, they targeted normal women and some men, who helped injured people heal with herbs, and potions, amongst other things. If they looked ‘evil’ or wore certain clothes, they were witches, and must be killed! Witches – beware!
The Horrible Histories books informed me of the gruesome way they were killed, and I just shudder thinking about it!
But, I am not writing about historical witches, but fantastical witches whom I think are just brilliant. When I think of books I have read based on stories of witches, such as Roald Dahl’s the Witches, JK Rowling’s Harry Potter books, and C.S.Lewis’ The Chronicles of Narnia books, it made me even more determined to write one of my own.
Where there are witches, there is magic and magical elements, that doesn’t exist in the human world however hard we try to create them. That’s why I love reading books that bring the imagination to life, where we see them as a film reel, running through our minds, and expanding our creative thoughts along the way!
So, I sat and penned the book Witch Crystal, something a little different but that would have you hooked. So what ‘s so great about this book? There are thousands of YA Fantasy books to read, why is this one so special? Well, without trying to blow my own horn, I will tell you some things about the book and the characters, and let you make the decision - is it something you want to read or not? Does it sound like it may be something different?
So, Witch Crystal is about a witch – that bit is quite obvious. Where is it based? What elements can you look forward to reading, I hear you ask. So here are some of the tantalising facts!
1. Witch Crystal is set on two planets – our very own Earth, the location being Robin Hood Bay in North Yorkshire, and Norway. The second planet is fictional, called Zrotaz, where fictional or mythical magical creatures reside.
2. There is an abundance of magical/mythical creatures in the book, some talk and some don’t. One of my favourite is the Unisus – a cross breed of a Unicorn and a Pegasus – a magnificent creature, if I do say so myself. There is also, Luille, my lovely comedian owl.
There are also villainous creatures too, such as the vile werewolves, and the evil Merpeople. Look out for them!
3. Teen romance – there is a sweet little romance that is not so evident as yet but it is there in the background. I would like to say it is a subtle romance that will grow in the next two books.
4. Spells, enchantments, and magical visual scenes – there is plenty of this throughout the book, that will leave you mesmerised, and that will bring the story to life.
The magical waterfall that won’t freeze in freezing weather
The trees that grow tea that help sleep
The luminous river
Enchantments that keep away unwanted company, spells that will throw you, lift you, and take you away to another place, and magically treated buildings that is a source of power for all witches and creatures.
Nothing is normal in Larissa’s witch world!
5. The Aurora Borealis or the Northern Lights. This factor is very important to the book, and without giving too much away, let’s say without it, travel between Earth and Zrotaz would not be possible!
6. Some key characters to look out for:
The Witch Crystal
The Earth Spirits
The High Witch
The Sacred Witch
The Unisus and the Witches Council
Witch Crystal, a story spells, charms, magic, and scenic locations!
Malika Gandhi’s Links!
The Monsoon Writer: http://malikagandhi.wordpress.com/
Unicorn Illustrations & Art work: https://www.facebook.com/UnicornIllustrationsAndArtWork
The Monsoon Writer: https://www.facebook.com/TheMonsoonWriter?ref=hl
My timeline: https://www.facebook.com/malika.gandhi
Where to purchase Witch Crystal!